THINGS TO DO
Food, coffee and wine
The Berry region is fast developing a reputation for its burgeoning foodie scene. From award-winning restaurants and wineries to superb specialist food producers of sourdough breads, chocolates, gelato, preserves and more, food lovers will be spoilt for choice. You can even go behind the scenes with a food and wine tour, or get hands-on with a cooking class or workshop.
- Enjoy a leisurely breakfast, lunch or coffee at one of Berry’s great cafés
- Visit Emporium Food Co. cafe / deli for great coffee, home made food, mouth-watering cheeses (try the exquisite roquefort), or a delicious picnic hamper.
- Try The Burrows of Berry Restaurant & Cafe, which exudes cool hipster style, friendly service and a scrumptious seasonal menu with matching wines.
- Pick up locally made sourdough breads and divine European pastries at Berry Sourdough Bakery or its sister café Milkwood Bakery
- Stock up on local produce at Flavours Shoalhaven and South Coast Providores
- Explore the regions award-winning wineries at your own pace or book a tour
- Jump on a Foodie’s Indulgence, Bite Around Berry, or Winescape Tour with Foodscape Tours to journey behind the scenes of some of the regions best providores and producers
- Book a private, girls only wineries and tasting tour with Luxe South Coast
- Delight in locally made gelato by The Pines at Il Locale
- Drop by The Treat Factory for handmade sweets, preserves and more and book kids into a school holiday chocolate making workshop
- Indulge in locally made chocolates at The Berry Chocolatier or The Berry Bon Bon Sweet Shop
- Unwind with locally blended tea and homemade cake at The Berry Tea Shop
- Explore the culinary delights at Nourish Kitchen + Lifestyle
- Get hands on with cooking classes at Flavours of the Valley Cooking School or a workshop at Buena Vista Farm
- Love eating Asian food? LEAF Berry serves delicious Thai/Vietnamese meals in the old Post Office building and ambient garden attached.
- Enjoy regional produce at its best when dining at local award-winning restaurants SOUTH on Albany and Hungry Duck
- Plan a visit to coincide with the Winter Wine Festival held annually on the June long weekend
The great outdoors
With its close proximity to mountain vistas, beaches, rivers, National Parks and the famous Jervis Bay, Berry is a great base from which to explore the great outdoors. There are plenty of activities for all ages and abilities.
Adventures to try:
- Hike to the beautiful natural rock formations of Drawing Room Rocks overlooking Berry township
- Traverse the Werri Beach to Kiama Coastal Walk (11km one way)
- Try your luck at fishing from the jetty at Shoalhaven Heads or in Broughton Creek
- Explore the pristine Kangaroo River from the water or take a tour with Kangaroo Valley Canoes or Kangaroo Valley Kayaks
- Horseriding with The Man From Kangaroo Valley Trail Rides
- Discover Minnamurra Rainforest
- Walk above the forest canopy with the Treetops Walk or take an exhilarating Zipline Tour at the Illawarra Fly
- Undertake an exciting and challenging tree top obstacle course for all ages at Nowra Trees Adventure
- Spot whales from Black Head, near Gerringong during migration season
- Head to Huskisson for whale watching tours – 1 hour from Berry
- Explore the beaches of the Shoalhaven or undertake the 100 Beach Challenge
- Explore the bush and beaches of Booderee National Park
- Try Stand Up Paddleboarding at Shoalhaven Heads or Jervis Bay
- Learn to surf with Surf Camp or Land’s Edge Surf School
- Road cycling
- Take a scenic and historic tour of Coolangatta Estate Winery and Coolangatta Mountain on Bigfoot the monster bus
- Join a guided Segway Tour for a unique and exhilarating adventure.
For the girls
Berry is the perfect location for a girls’ weekend away. With beautiful and unique shopping, numerous day spas and salons, award-winning wineries, outdoor activities and great dining options it is a wonderful place to unwind, recharge and catch up with friends.
Some ideas include:
- Discover Berry’s gorgeous boutiques and retail stores
- Unwind with a massage or beauty treatment at one of Berry’s great salons
- Enjoy a quick coffee, hearty breakfast or leisurely lunch at one of the many fantastic cafes
- Indulge in tea and a heavenly slice of cake at The Berry Tea Shop
- Explore the regions award-winning wineries including Silos Estate, Mountain Ridge Wines, Two Figs Winery, Coolangatta Estate and Cambewarra Estate
- Go behind the scenes and discover the regions best food producers, specialist providores and wineries with Foodscape Tours
- Book an exclusive, girls only wineries or shopping tour with Luxe South Coast
- Hike to the beautiful Drawing Room Rocks or traverse the stunning Coastal Walk
- Get out on horseback with The Man from Kangaroo Valley Trail Rides
- Enjoy a traditional High Tea at Cambewarra Estate Winery
- Dine at Berry’s finer restaurants including SOUTH on Albany and Hungry Duck, or grab a casual meal at one of the local hotels or restaurants offering a variety of cuisines including Thai, Vietnamese, South African and Italian.
For the family
Families will find plenty to do in and around Berry to keep kids of all ages busy and happy at all times of the year.
Highlights for kids:
- Explore Seven Mile Beach at Gerroa. Always popular with families, it offers a surf beach (patrolled during summer months) and a more protected inlet ideal for smaller children and activities such as SUP and kayaking
- Enjoy one of the many parks and playgrounds in the local area
- Visit Shoalhaven Zoo
- Visit one of Berry Markets —Berry Country Fair, Berry Produce Market, Berry Flea Markets
- Challenge yourselves at the Trees Adventure. There are various levels of the tree top obstacle course to suit ages 4+
- Book the kids to the ‘Bean to the Bar’ chocolate making workshop during the school holidays at The Treat Factory
- Ride on miniature trains at Penwood Railroad, Princes Highway Jaspers Brush. First Sunday of the month 10am-3pm
- Make a splash at Jamberoo Action Park (seaonal – check the website for opening hours/days).
- Explore beaches and more in Booderee National Park
- Discover Minnamurra Rainforest – you might even see a lyrebird!
- Head to Huskisson for dolphin and whale watching tours with Jervis Bay Wild or Dolphin Watch
- Bounce to your hearts content at Flip out Nowra
- Head to Berry Village Pool to cool off in the summer months (seasonal)
- Book tickets for kids plays and events at Shoalhaven Entertainment Centre
- Try a spot of fishing at Shoalhaven Heads
- Make sure you don’t miss Berry’s family-friendly annual events including The Berry Show (January) and the Berry Celtic Festival (May)
Specials & offers
“We had a lovely weekend staying in a two bedroom apartment which had been completely refurbished. The beds were very comfortable, the rooms large and airy. You can park outside the door and walk to the shops around the corner. As parking in Berry is at a premium most weekends this is a real bonus. I would stay here again, the hosts were very welcoming.”
“Very central yet very quiet. Location is perfect for families and couples. Very tastefully renovated property absolutely nothing to fault. Thank you for a lovely stay.”
“Highly recommend The Berry Inn, located conveniently in the heart of Berry, close to restaurants, pubs and shops alike - would come back to Berry and stay again!”
“We were in Berry for a wedding reception at Gabby's. The location was very handy, being on the same street. We enjoyed our stay immensely. The apartment had just been remodelled, with new carpets and paintwork. The king sized beds were very comfy, and, although we didn't use it, the kitchen was well equipped.”
“Great location, newly renovated room, I will definitely suggest it to my friends!”
“Thank you Aaron & Kirsten for a lovely Easter long weekend. Your newly renovated apartment was gorgeous. Berry offers so many attractions and is a short drive from Kangaroo Valley and Seven Mile Beach. We will definitely be back.”
— The Darbins